|Posting||Principal Lawyer (EL2) – Corporate and Commercial|
|Location||CBD & Inner Suburbs|
|Job posted||May 29, 2022|
|Job Sector||Government – Federal|
Allygroup is seeking a senior lawyer who has at least 7 years’ experience in the Corporate and Commercial environment to join a Federal Government Agency.
The EL2 Lawyer is an important team leadership position within the Agency and will have delegated authority and responsibility to resolve issues and risks across wide-ranging activities of substantial depth involving significant detail.
The successful candidate will provide the leadership, control, planning, resource management, performance management and decision making for the team membership and assigned Contractors working within the positions assigned work area.
The EL2 Lawyer may be required to represent and negotiate on behalf of the Agency to advance the Agency’s interests in cross-agency, interjurisdictional and other forums.
- providing legal advice to the CEO, Deputy CEOs, the Agency’s Board and business areas;
- leading a team of lawyers, both in-house and as instructors to external firms, and assisting with improvement of the in-house legal practice with an emphasis on the development and mentoring of Agency lawyers;
- managing a portfolio of cases and prioritising the workload to ensure team resources can meet client expectations around agreed service levels;
- managing continuous improvement activities such as the development of systems, processes and practical tools such as precedents, protocols, and legal education;
- advising on the operation of legislation, instruments, guidelines and policies;
- advising on drafting and assisting in preparation of legislative and other instruments;
- supporting the Agency in legal matters such as dispute resolution and litigation;
- managing transactional work of a legal nature, including administrative processes incidental to the provision of associated legal services;
- working in a business partnering capacity within the Agency, regularly meeting with business areas/branches within a specified portfolio and identifying and advising on relevant legal and associated risks;
- supporting business partnering activities, including delivering capacity development and legal training on a particular area of Law or specialisation;
- advising on the planning and management of processes associated with programs or procurements administered by the Commonwealth or an Agency; and
- instructing counsel in hearings, briefing external lawyers and counsel.
Our ideal candidate will:
- initiate, establish and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders;
- supporting the development of individuals’ knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- exercise a significant degree of independence; and
- have high-level decision-making and judgement skills.
You must possess relevant academic qualifications with admission as a legal practitioner and be willing to obtain and maintain current practising certificate.
What you need to do now
To apply, click the ‘Apply for this job’ button above or send a current resume and cover letter to our team at [email protected] expressing your interest in this opportunity. For a confidential talk in relation to this position, please call us on 02 5104 3170.
Allygroup is a law firm which specialises in legal management consultancy, legal project management and legal recruitment.
Allygroup is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and endeavour to put forward the best candidates regardless of their cultural, gender or religious identity.